How do I resolve an Error Code 2?
If you're trying to install or start a game but get an Error Code 2, it may be due to interference from a recent Microsoft security update for Windows Vista. This affects users with an older version of Windows Vista (known as Service Pack 1).
To fix this error, it is recommended that you update to the more recent Vista Service Pack 2, which Microsoft provides as a free download. For detailed instructions, please see the steps below.
Updating to Vista Service Pack 2 is recommended by Microsoft, as official support for Vista Service Pack 1 has recently ended. For more information, please see the following article from Microsoft: Support is ending for some versions of Windows
If your computer is not running Windows Vista, please see the Problems Downloading or Installation Failed help article.
Download Vista Service Pack 2 Update from Microsoft
First, let's determine which version of the update you need. Windows Vista comes in 32bit and 64bit versions, and the update must match. To find out which version of Windows Vista you're running and which update you need, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu (Windows button in the bottom left corner of your screen).
- In the Start menu, right click on Computer and select Properties.
- Under the System heading, you can see if you are using a 32bit or 64bit operating system.
After you've determined if you have a 32bit or 64bit version of Windows Vista, follow the corresponding link below to download and install the correct version of Vista Service Pack 2:
After downloading and installing Vista Service Pack 2, restart your computer. Then, try installing or launching your game again.
Trouble downloading the update?
If you're having trouble downloading the free Vista Service Pack 2 update from Microsoft's website, you can order the Windows Vista Service Pack DVD to install it from a disc. Please note that this option does require payment. For more information, please see Microsoft's Windows Vista Service Pack DVD page.You can also download the update on a different computer and transfer it by copying it to a disk or removable drive.
If you're still unable to get Vista Service Pack 2, you may wish to remove the security update that is causing this error.
Please note that this is an official Windows security update from Microsoft, and removing it is done at your own risk. If you wish to proceed, we recommend doing so only if you are unable to update to Vista Service Pack 2 as shown in the above steps
- Open the Start menu, then go to Control Panel, and select Uninstall a program under the 'Programs' heading.
- Select View installed updates in the panel on the left.
- In the list of updates, find and click on Update for Windows Vista (KB2533623).
- Click the Uninstall button. Afterward, restart your computer and try installing or launching your game again.